- Get Involved
We’re changing the system —
and the prospects of millions.
Pratham’s impact can be seen in the life-changing success
of one little girl.
Seven-year-old Sameeksha could barely join letters together to form words. But after six months in a Pratham Read India class, she quickly graduated from recognizing words to reading stories.
Sameeksha is fortunate in having access to Pratham’s programs to learn to read and write. Not everyone does, and even in fast-growing India, illiteracy is still a shocking fact of life. Of India’s 210 million children, nearly half are unable to read.
Illiteracy is a fundamental problem that causes a chain reaction of negative consequences
Illiteracy’s effects are lasting. It causes kids to trade their dreams for hopelessness and perpetuates generations of poverty. It’s simply inhumane. And in economic terms, it undermines India’s growth and potential.
Pratham is uniquely suited to address the challenge.
Pratham figured out how to address this crisis. Our innovative programs are creating systematic change benefiting kids across 21 of India’s 28 states. Since 2007, Pratham's Read India campaign to teach underprivileged children across the country to read, write and do basic arithmetic has impacted an estimated 34 million children across India. In addition, the success of Read India has transformed Pratham from a service delivery organization into one that also positively impacts official policy and the practice of education. By supporting Pratham USA you can help change the system for good.
Pratham achieves success in many areas
Pratham’s Reach in 2010-11
- Over 2.4 million children in rural India reached through Pratham’s Read India program
- An active presence in 21 states and 47,000 villages
- Over 425,000 children in 30 cities reached through Pratham’s urban programs
Creating a scalable model by training volunteers and teachers
- 65,000 volunteers recruited
- 61,000 teachers trained
- 14,000 volunteers received computer training
- 700,000 children surveyed for Pratham's Annual Status of Education Report
- 160,000 children borrowed books from Pratham libraries
- 113,000 gained computer skills from 430 centers in 28 cities in 8 states
- 60,000 child laborers and street children rescued, educated and sheltered
- 22,000 children taught in science programming
- 22,000 pre-school age children attend Pratham Balwadis
- More than 2,300 received vocational training
All of this is done with just $15 million in donations a year, of which about $5 million comes from the US and people just like you. Contribute today.
Read our Methodology.
Find out how you can make a difference
in these kids' lives.
—– Dipak Sarkar
“We feel humble and satisfied that our efforts have resulted in so much good work, with so many children getting so much education out of this effort.”
A Volunteer Force
Number of volunteers Pratham recruits and trains to serve as teachers to children who would not otherwise be reached. It’s what gives us scale to create broad change with little overhead.