- Get Involved
Learning Support Classes
Pratham offers three classes to address fundamental needs.
For kids falling through the educational cracks, Pratham offers hope.
Our learning support classes are for out-of-school children and in-school children lacking the reading, writing and arithmetic skills they should have for their age and grade. Kids six and above can build and strengthen these skills through these classes offered by Pratham through communities and schools.
Shishuvachan classes supplement kids’ pre-school educations.
This program is run for children who are 4-6 years old and are attending other balwadis and anganwadis. It seeks to build their language and numeric skills in preparation for school. It is a five-month program and runs from November to March every year.
Learn to Read classes help the kids who are seriously behind.
Learn to Read (L2R) is an 8-week program targeting children who are unable to read simple texts fluently or do basic arithmetic confidently. It’s an accelerated learning system that can teach kids how to read and do basic arithmetic in 4- 8 weeks. L2R relies on an innovative results-driven technique:
- The method of learning focuses on four class activities: say something, do something, read something and write something
- The four class activities are integrated together to form interconnections that snowball into larger skills
- Kids receive individual assessment and are grouped according to knowledge level
- Instruction is tailored to the learning level of the kids and goals are adjusted accordingly
Read to Learn gets lagging kids ready for mainstream schools.
Read to learn (R2L) picks up where Learn to Read leaves off. Out-of-school children are the priority of the program. Once children have built their basic reading skills, they are taught how to read with comprehension and express what they have learned. R2L classes have two phases:
- Phase 1 (R2L1) strengthens reading, comprehension of school and other texts, and independent writing.
- Phase 2 (R2L2) ensures that the children complete the basic curriculum for Grade III as prescribed by the National Council for Education Research and Training (NCERT).
R2L is getting kids out of illiteracy and into school. Help them get there by contributing today.